Friday, July 31, 2009

Do you love books?

Anyone who doesn't, haven't tried reading. Or, they just have missed good books to read.

I dream to have my own library in my own house. And how do I even do that. As far as I know, my collection of books would only count to, let's see, minus the textbooks handed from generation to generation, I think I have nine.

1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- very nice book. Just bought it this year, before I graduated.

2. Q&A by Vikas Swarup
- now known as Slumdog Millionaire - I hope they didn't edit the book version to fit the movie version. I still think the book was better. The movie did good justice to it. But still... It was good that this book was in a bargain shelf at that time. I bought it at around P199 or lower in Powerbooks. When I checked the National Bookstore, it's P299. Ha-ha!

3-4. The Children's Hour (Stories on Childhood) Volume I and II
- i haven't read all of them yet. Favorite so far: The Bread of Salt by N.V.M. Gonzales. Partly because it saved me from the Spanish recitation of how to translate bread of salt - yep, it's pan de sal.

5. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
- favorite: The Pendulum, Maelstrom, and one about a cat whose title I can't remember. But I must say, it's really hard to read his works with all the old English in use. The most vivid I could only imagine are these stories.

6. If Tomorrow Comes by Sydney Sheldon
- good story. It's just nowadays that I appreciate such endings.

7. Three stories in one book: Bloodline/A Stranger in the Mirror/Naked Face by Sydney Sheldon
- it's not actually mine. I don't even know who originally owned it. I found it in our bookshelf when I was looking for a book to read. But out of the eight of us in the house, it's just me, dad and mom who have read it.

8. The Tale of the Girl who turned into a Fish and other Filipino Folk Tales
- erm, it's somewhere filed in the cabinet. I was still into our own folk tales by then. I was glad I told my mom to buy it together with the following book..

9. Philippine Ghost Stories
- whose author I can't remember but I'll do if I ever hear it somewhere. Actually, it's... oh! i remember! It's Marivi Soliven Blanco. But I lost it somewhere in the house. It comes up once in a while though... We bought it in a shop near the Manaoag Church/Parish. I was still about elementary at that time... ah, memories.

10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- how can I forget. The very first Harry Potter book I ever owned. I've just incidentally dug out my things in search for an encyclopedia, and looked! It popped out!

11. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Yep, the fifth installment of J.K. Rowlings' HP series. My sister gave it to me as a gift as far as I remember. Wow. But it's nowhere to be found though. I can't remember where I put it.
So there you have it. My dream of a library, still decades away from materializing. So now, I'm going a step closer to it in a form of luck.

So there you have it. My dream of a library, still decades away from materializing. So now, I'm going a step closer to it in a form of luck.

Chery Rainfield, teen fiction author, has opened a contest to win $15-$50 gift certificate to online bookstores plus her own book with her autograph. Well, actually, I think it's to promote her book too. And I'm taking the bite to her bait. Haha...

I hope I can make it too.

So here it is, her promotional video. :))






You can go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuAfTLFBDGo&feature=player_embedded




You can go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cTST4Bhcw8&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment