Sunday, August 30, 2009

What's Bad Before Reading A Book?

That's seeing a personified character coming on big screen.

Well, I haven't read The Time Traveler's Wife yet, and it's now in the cinemas. But, I wasn't hurt that much. Although I have wanted to read it ever since I saw it in the bookstore (i haven't heard of it), I haven't.

I was just about to read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. And then I was told that there's an upcoming movie for it. Out of my own curiosity, I checked it out, and realized that the upcoming movie will be made my Japanese producers, with Japanese actors and actress.

Now, I don't have anything against the Japs, because I am a fan of most of their movies, especially their mangas/anime creations, and I like their tradition and culture, and all that stuffs. I don't even have anything against Horikita Maki, because I liked the Live adaptation of Hana Kimi. (And I would also like to see her in a live adaptation of Ouran High School Host Club as Fujioka Haruhi. This character suits her best).

But knowing that Naomi in the person of Horikita, my own imagination for self-made Naomi failed. I found it difficult to picture her myself, because the actress kept getting into my brain mirror. And that being the case, I think I failed to connect with the book.

Horikita, based on how I saw her in Hana Kimi, was a bit stiff as opposed to ever-energetic Ashiya Mizuki. While she captured the emotional Ashiya, the fun part of the character was lost to Ikuta Toma who played the part of Nakatsu Shuichi.

That made Naomi a bit stiff for me too. It's a bit hard to see her kiss James and Ace at all. I guess I have a narrow imagination then.

I have to claim the fault at this.

But I guess it's really bad if you really and badly wanted to read a book and you couldn't form your own version of Naomi.

Anyway, the book was good. I'll just have to pass this irritation before I write a review. Or maybe, I'll read it again. I must have read it too fast. I started yesterday late afternoon. I finished it just after lunch today.

Yep, I think I am going to read it again. Maybe I can see why I didn't see Naomi having deeper feelings for Will.

And I will get my hands on a Japanese Movie Adaptation of the book. I want to see if I'm totally wrong about Horikita. I really love the actress, but my observation can hold limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment